Thursday, March 6, 2014

Being In Truth Means Simply Being Yourself


He likes me for me.
He likes my imperfect body.
And not because I hold myself like Queen Latifa or a prima donna.
Nor look like a model, rock star or Miss Madonna.

He likes me for me.
It doesn’t matter if my clothes aren’t right or my hair isn’t done.
It doesn’t matter if my emotions stay tight or if they come undone.

He likes me for me.
He likes that I want to go explore new places.
He loves that I go find magical spaces.
He wants me to be me.
He doesn’t care if my house is organized and clean.
He still treats me like a queen.
He enjoys how my joyful giggles swell.
And he doesn’t mind how I smell or don’t smell
Because every smell is me.
He loves how I am, because he likes me for me.

It doesn’t matter that I remind him of his past girlfriend
It doesn’t matter that I’m not enough like his past other one.
It only matters that I am me,
Because he likes me for me.

I like to go on walks.
I like to explore the city blocks.
I like when we have our long talks.
I like getting jewelry in gift boxes.
I like collecting pretty rocks.
And I like making forts out of old boxes.
He likes doing things with me
Because he likes me for me.

He loves my smile.
He loves all my laughs.
He could walk with me for mile after mile.
Just to here me laugh every once in a while.
I don’t have a box I have to fit inside
I don’t have to match an idea.
There’s nothing he would have me change.
He doesn’t care if others think me strange.
He likes me for me.
And.....I like me for me.....

I like me for me.
I don’t have to change for him to like me.
It’s ok if I don’t dress right
If my jeans aren’t tight
If I don’t greet him quite right
Or if sometimes I get intimate stage fright.

I like me for me.
I can be as pretty as the movie stars
I can be terrible at playing guitars.
I can be numb and I can be alive
I can choose which car to test drive.
Because I am who I choose to be

I like me for me
I don’t care if I want my kitchen is spotless
I don’t care if at times I’m thoughtless
When I think I shouldn’t be.
It’s how I am sometimes
And I like me for me.

I want to be real.
I want to find out who I am.
I want to feel.
And I want to make homemade strawberry jam!

I like what I’m finding
I like that I’m failing
I like that I’m succeeding.
Because I like me for me.

I like me for me.
It’s ok that sometimes I’m depressed.
It’s ok that sometimes I wait all day to get dressed.
It’s ok that I have scars on my arms from my own doing.
And it’s ok that at times I am my own undoing.
I’m becoming friends with who I am.
I choose to see myself as perfect in imperfection.

I am my own best friend.
I can take myself out on the town for the night.
I am my own best boyfriend.
My arms will keep me warm through the long and frightful night.
I like me for me.

I like that I am insecure and I am trying to convince myself I’m fine in my poetry.
I like that I am the main character in all my stories.
I like life and I like that it’s difficult
I like that it’s fun and I like that I’m not cynical
I chose to allow myself the space to be me.
I chose to take the pressure off to be anything else.

Being in truth means simply being yourself.
I won’t try to be anyone else.


No comments:

Post a Comment