Monday, February 23, 2015

Dear God, Give me a new dream: the plea of a defeatist.

 Please take this burden from me.  I don’t want my heart to bleed anymore.  I don’t want to dream of being a family anymore.  I don’t want to dream of having children.  I don’t want to dream of having a lover and husband who will always be there for me.  I have watched my heart leap into reckless hope of a future only to be left sorely wanting.  Time and time again I see the men I love in some other woman’s arms.  I cry and I wonder what’s wrong with me that I can’t captivate him and that we aren’t meant for each other.  And I will myself to move on by telling my heart that there is someone out there for me. 

I look around me and see so many broken hearts.  I look around and see boys and bros and dudes posing as men.  Or maybe it’s that I see men when I wish to see knights in shining armor.  Either way, I don’t want what has been offered to me.  I’ve always wanted to find someone who will be on my side... someone that I can experience life with... someone to love and who will love me.  But everywhere I look I see brokenness.  So many men just up and walk away... and now that even includes my dad.  My poor mom.  She thought she found love and she thought she found truth and a life partner and ultimately she was deceived and abandoned.  And I am caught in the wake of being abandoned.  I only kept in touch with my dad through my mom before and now that they are separating what does that leave me with my relationship with my dad?  It gives me a daddy issue, that’s what.  No one wants to deal with daddy issues.  What hope does that leave me?  What am I setting myself up for?  All I want is a man’s chest to completely rest on and for him to tell me it’s ok to be me and hold me and kiss the top of my head... a man who loves me for me, not just for my pretty face or my sex.  Maybe that gives rise to my relationship issues... maybe I’ve never wanted a lover but a dad.  Shit, that sucks.  I don’t know how to swim through this... 

Pleeeeease God!  Give me a new dream.  Give me a loophole.  Give me something to hope for.  Give me some reason to keep on moving forward.  I’m feeling pretty alone and pointless right about now.  I realize I have put a lot of weight into being “something” for someone that I don’t realize my own worth outside of any and all relationship.  I see that.  But holy smokes, I don’t know how to change that. Transform my longing for family into a bigger picture or into a longing to only be with you.... something.  Please replace the pleas of my heart for a man to have and to hold until death do we part, with something more tangible.  I don’t want to risk it anymore.  I don’t want my heart to hurt like this anymore.  I’ve never felt such real pain in my chest before.  Please, God!  Have mercy on my heart.  My vision is blurry as I write through my tears as I beg you; give me a new desire.  Give me a new dream.  And please let it completely replace my yearning for partnership.  Replace my yearning for male attention... from a father figure or from a lover.  I don’t want it anymore.  If I can’t have it, please take it away.... please.  Please don’t be cruel with me.  Give me a new dream or take me away from this world so you can be the one to hold me. 

In all emotional sincerity,

Amen           

No comments:

Post a Comment