Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Go big or Go home!

Sometimes the first plan is the best one.  I had the idea of traveling up or down the west coast until I found a place to live and if I didn't find anything I would end up in Portland or LA.

A couple days after I got back to Colorado I was looking into moving to California.  One of my friends is being relocated out to LA.  So I decided to check out the job market.  I found an awesome family owned coffee shop in West Hollywood almost right away.  The job add sounded fantastic.  They were looking for someone with the right attitude and who would fit in.  They said they liked to laugh and have a good time but get their work done right and well.  They wanted someone who could do some latte art too and were willing to train someone to do latte art. .....!!!!

I had just finished remaking my barista resume earlier that day actually.  So all I had to do was write a cover letter.  With the help and encouragement of my wonderful mother, I got it done.  Then I got nervous about sending it in.  My mom said, "well the worst that can happen is that you get offered the job, and then you don't HAVE to take it if you don't want to."

Right.  Big breath... yeah why not?  I love Colorado but I gotta take a risk, I gotta leap and I gotta go find some adventures.  I had such a wonderful time in Colorado.  I almost wanted to stay.  There are so many people that I love and admire and who love and support me.  However, I knew that if I stayed I would grow restless again.  I got the opportunity to see almost everyone and bliss out on their company.  I was able to hunt mushrooms with Logan (one of my favorite things to do with him).  I hung out with my parents and watched the pro bikers race by and then went water bottle hunting afterwards.  I ate fresh, local, organic peaches soaked in cream.  And I made a peach raspberry pie to bring to a picnic at the park during a Pickin' in the Park concert!  All my favorite fall things.  I am completely happy with my time spent back home.

I sent in my resume and cover letter, and got a call back from the guy and we set up an interview for Sunday afternoon at 230.... in LA!!  I got that call Friday.  I packed up my car Saturday morning and started my drive to the coast.  I felt (and still feel) a little crazy.  I got nervous again.  And again my mom said just the right thing... "mom!  What if I don't get the job and I drive all the way out there for it??"  "Well," she said, "then print out some resumes and try to find something else, visit your friends, go to the beach and if all falls through then come home again."  ... ok, no big deal.  I can do that.

So I left my parents house with some new windshield wipers (because it was raining, Colorado cried as I left) and a car full of clothes, bedding and books.

As soon as I got to Utah it cleared up and even the rocks started pointing me west.
And the sun romanced me with beautiful rays and later sunsets.

I stopped in Las Vegas and stayed with a good friend from high school.  Then got up in the morning and had another nervous attack.  I didn't have a place to stay Sunday night and I felt SO-not classy after going out in Vegas the night before.  Everyone had perfectly cute and chic dresses on that were set off by a pair of heels.  Their hair was movie-star curled and makeup was caked on and perfect.  YIKES!  I so can not hang.  I was wearing flip-flops made of recycled materials and a dress I got from a clothing exchange.  I had only eye-liner and mascara on and my hair was in a low messy bun... wow.

I could see the shimmer of my eye-shadow in the reflection of my sunglasses as the morning sun hit my face.  My car was pointing west and I forbade myself to cry because then I would have to redo my makeup for my interview.  I was scared as I headed down a road I had never been down before.  I was scared when the only certainty in my life was uncertainty.  But I wasn't about to let that stop me, though it did slow me down some.  I talked to a couple friends sniffed up the tears trying to escape through my nose and pushed on the gas.

I got to the outter out skirts of LA and stopped at a shopping center to figure out where I was and where I was going.  I decided LA is like a can-can dancer.  LA is the body and then there are layers and layers of "skirts" and "out skirts".

I got to my interview with an hour to explore the area.  It seems cool.  Then I had my interview.  Oh my gosh!  The cafe is absolutely amazing!  Their coffee is wonderful and the people are even better.  It's a cozy little place right off sunset blvd and they say about 80% of the costumers are regulars or locals.  They also have house made chai and house made GELATO!!  This is where I want to work.  We talked and joked and I made a latte on their machine.  I attempted some latte art... but steaming the milk at sea level and with a different steamwand didn't do me any favors.  Despite my failed latte art attempts, he called me back today and asked me to come in for some more training and a trial run on Thursday!!!  :D

So today I spent about 9 hours on my computer looking into housing options, neighborhoods and different jobs and spas and ways I can do reflexology here in the city.  Tomorrow I will drive around and look at a few places and check out a couple real estate offices.

I go from being scared to be so excited and happy.  I feel alive.  I can be scared and I can still get a job and find a house and learn how I can do reflexology here.  I have amazing friends and amazing people who are praying for me and sending me love and support.  I'm willing to risk failure and I'm willing to fail a couple times as I figure my life out.  With the biggest risks come the biggest rewards.

Go big or go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment